Oirschot, Spoordonk and Oost-, West- and Middelbeers
The market square in Oirschot with the more than five centuries old St. Peter's Basilica (Basilica Minor) and the former Town Hall dating from 1513 is one of the most beautiful squares in the Netherlands. In the shadow of the square is the intimate Vrijthof with the Butter Church, which is the oldest tufa God's House of Brabant.
Spoordonk is only a small village, but has a glorious history as the seat of the Lords of Oirschot. They possessed a castle here (Huis ten Bergh), a water mill and four domain farms. Of Huis ten Bergh, that was demolished in the 19th century, only a bulge in the grassland remains. The water mill still exists and has recently been restored.
The name Spoordonk is probably a combination of "spork", a Berry Bush, and "donk", which is a high bulge of sand in a swampy environment. That also explains the presence of the water mill.
Communities with a spirit!
Oostelbeers, Middelbeers and Westelbeers owe their name to the proximity of the great and the Small Beerze , two rivers that were important for agriculture and water supply. Meanwhile nature is brought back again in the stream valleys.
Middelbeers is the largest of the three Beerzen. The most important monument is a 15th century church which is considered to be one of the coolest village churches in the Brabantse Kempen.
The village belonged originally to the Abbey of Echternach, which later on passed it over to the Abbey of Tongerlo.
There was never a village church. Though we find there a nice lady chapel from 1637.